Rick Stiggins founded the Assessment Training Institute (ATI) in 1992 to provide much-needed professional development in assessment for teachers and school leaders. ATI can help assessment users at all levels learn how to (a) create high-quality assessments, and (b) use them in the service of student success. The most unique feature of the ATI philosophy remains our advocacy of and professional development in "assessment for learning"; that is, the use of student-involved classroom assessment, record keeping and communication to promote success for all students.
The ATI programs, materials and services in classroom assessment for student learning are specifically designed to draw teachers and administrators into local learning teams to master principles of balanced assessment and assessment for learning. Rick is the author of numerous books, articles and papers on assessment practices in the classroom and its impact on students and student success.
- Chappuis, Jan, Stiggins, R. Chappuis, S., Arter, J. (2012). Classroom Assessment for Student Learning: Doing It Right—Using It Well. Read table of contents.
- Chappuis, S., Stiggins, R.J., Commodore, C. (2010). Assessment Balance and Quality: An Action Guide for School Leaders, 3rd ed.
- Chappuis, S., Stiggins, R.J., Arter, J., & Chappuis, J. (2005). Assessment for Learning: An Action Guide for School Leaders, 2nd ed.
- Chappuis, Stephen, Chappuis, Jan & Stiggins, Richard (02/01/2009). Supporting Teacher Learning Teams. Educational Leadership, 66(5), 56-60.
- Chappuis, Stephen & Stiggins, Richard J. (10/10/2008). Finding balance: Assessment in the middle school classroom. Middle Ground, 12(2), 12-15.
- Stiggins, Richard J. & Popham, W. James (08/01/2008). Assessing students' affect related to assessment for learning.
- Stiggins, Rick J. & Chappuis, Jan (01/01/2008). Enhancing student learning. District Administrator, January.
- Rick Stiggins (05/01/2007). Assessment through student eyes. Educational Leadership, 64(8), 22-26.
- Stiggins, Rick, and Chappuis, Jan (12/01/2006). What a difference a word makes. Journal of Staff Development, 27(1), 10-14.
- Stiggins, Richard J. (11/01/2006). Assessment for learning: A key to motivation and achivement. Edge, 2(2), 3-19.
- Stiggins, Richard J. (12/01/2005). From Formative assessment to assessment for learning: A path to success in standards-based schools. Phi Delta Kappan, 87(4), 324-328.
- Chappuis, Stephen & Stiggins, Richard J. (11/01/2005). Putting testing in perspective: It's for learning. Principal Leadership, 6(2), 16-20.
- Stiggins, Richard J. (09/01/2005). Assessment for learning defined. ETS Assessment Training Institute's International Conference: Promoting Sound Assessment in Every Classroom.
- Stiggins, Richard J. (03/01/2005). Rethinking the motivational dynamics of productive assessment. M.A.S.S. Journal, 5(1), 8-12.
- Stiggins, Richard J. & Chappuis, Jan (01/01/2005). Using student-involved classroom assessment to close achievement gaps. Theory Into Practice, 44(1), 11-18.
- Stiggins, Richard J. (09/01/2004). New assessment beliefs for a new school mission. Phi Delta Kappan, 86(1), 22-27.